Taking care of your skin can seem like a lot of work. When you think about it, this should be one of our main priorities. For most of us we’d like to keep our youthful appearance for as long as possible & to do this we need to put in some effort. Our skin has to last us quite a few years so getting on top of maintenance now, will prevent putting in the work later. Here at Let’s Face It, we are all for ageing gracefully. This blog post is for us to pass on some insider tips & tricks for keeping a youthful glow!
10 ways to reduce the signs of ageing:
- Always wear sun protection. Rain, hail or shine: The sun is always out. Whether you’re running errands all day or simply walking to your car in the morning, the sun will hit you! Sun protection is your number 1 anti-aging solution. We are exposed to UVA/UVB more than you would think. Photo aging is caused by UV radiation from the sun, not from its heat. Look for a broad-spectrum SPF with the highest factor you can get your hands on. In Australia our sun is extremely harsh & can age our skin dramatically. Wearing an SPF every-day, all year round is a necessity here. You don’t want to wake up in the morning leave the house & the sun has already taken away all the collagen your body was building over-night. Can’t stress this enough, SPF is your anti-ageing savior!!
Our recommendations: Soleil Defence DMK Protect 50+, Ultraceuticals SPF 50+
- Choose your skincare products wisely: Using quality skin care that has been tried & tested on all skins is the way to go. They’re full of ingredients that mimic our skins make-up, active ingredients & botanical ingredients. Paramedical skin care & cosmeceutical skin care are formulated to replace what the skin is lacking & use ingredients that our bodies recognize, which means they will take on those ingredients quickly, compared to a cosmetic brand skin care. A few products that everyone should have in their skin care routine are:
- Vitamin C: It is a strong antioxidant that prevents free radical damage, inhibits pigmentation & restores collagen & elastin back into the skin. Our vitamin C, which is our collagen/elastin start to deplete when we hit 21 and continues to decrease by 1% every year from then. Which means we need to start to replace that to ensure firm, youthful skin.
- Vitamin A: Is your cells regulator. Keeps your skin on track & under control. Vitamin A keeps our skin plump, strong & also boosts our collagen production. It has exfoliating properties, as a nighttime treatment this will help to give you a brighter, healthier appearance when you wake up in the morning. Also amazing for breakout & congestion, bonus!
- Eye cream: The skin around our eyes is very delicate & starts to crease extremely early. Starting an eye cream at a young age, will help to keep that area hydrated, plump & nourished, preventing the skin from forming fine-lines.
Our recommendations: DMK Direct Delivery Vitamin C. Vitamin A: DMK Revitosin & Revise-A. Eye cream: DMK’s Eye-Tone, Fine Lines & Eye Web. Check out our blog: Cleansing 101 -Proper cleansing is extremely anti-ageing.
- Moisturizer is your new best friend: People who are naturally born with oiler skin will age slower, due to the hydration levels they hold. This doesn’t mean they don’t need to moisturizer, this means for those of us who are on the normal to dry scale need to keep up with them. Moisturizers lock in hydration & protect our skin’s barrier function from becoming stripped, red, dry, congested & wrinkled. Using a moisturizing face mask once a week, will also restore, boost hydration & plump the skin. Remember to never leave out your neck & hands as well!
Our recommendations: DMK Hydrating mask, DMK Beta Gel, DMK Nite Firming Moisturiser. Ultraceuticals Rich Moisture Cream
- Drink as much water as you can, daily: The more you drink the higher your hydration levels will be. Dehydration becomes more common as we age because of the skin’s lacking ability to hold moisture. Get drinking ladies!
- Smoking & Diet: You think this would be a no-brainer, that smoking leads to wrinkles. Yet, most people don’t realize that smoking is the reason their skin is sluggish, dull & lifeless. One cigarette depletes your entire Vitamin C for 24-36 hours, if you have more than one a day, your Vitamin C is almost always depleted. Diet is a massive contributor as well. Eat healthy & eat properly. Reduce your packaged food intake & eat an abundance of fruits, vegetables, omega’s & essential fatty acids. Good fats are also extremely important they create healthy cell membranes, which creates subtle skin.
- Exfoliating with care: We only need to exfoliate once a week. A liquid or extremely lightly beaded scrub will do the job. Over-exfoliating leads to breaks in the skin causing moisture to escape. This will strip your natural oils causing dry, brittle skin. Be gentle to your skin, use soft towels when drying your face & pat dry. Any frisk, rough movements can cause further damage.
- Eat less sugar: Sugar accelerates glycation, which is the process of excess glucose being in the bloodstream causing collagen & elastin to turn brittle & soft. This results in deep-seeded wrinkles as the collagen & elastin collapse in the skin. Try to replace your craving with natural sweet foods. Yes, this unfortunately includes wine!!
- Get your beauty sleep: Sleep is the time where our bodies repair, restore & grow new cells. If you struggle with sleep, look into natural remedies or a botanical supplement that will help you relax. Never sleep in your makeup: It clogs your pores & over time stretches the pores causing collagen breakdown. If you struggle with removing it at night, look into using Micellar water. They get the job done, quick & easy.
Our recommendations: Ultraceuticals B2 Micellar Water, Relax Tablets DMK.
- Regular facial treatments are so important: Facials are not only time dedicated to yourself for relaxation. They’re amazing at increasing fresh blood flow, removing & flushing toxins, lymphatic drainage & fighting premature ageing. Fortnightly or monthly facials are a must, especially if you’re already suffering from skin issues. Skin revision is an on-going journey, that will help to maintain your skin through any changes or conditions. Top tip for those already seeing signs of ageing, facials will give you back that healthy, glowy skin.
Our recommendations: DMK Enzyme Therapy, Skin Nutrition Facial.
- Exercise is key: Exercise, as we know, is important for overall health & well-being. Exercise gets your blood flow pumping, releases built-up toxins & remove waste through lymphatic drainage. Exercise is your little secret to healthy, glowing skin! A happy body leads to a happy, plump complexion.
Consider taking on these helpful tips & remember ageing is natural process, so be kind to yourself. The more effort you put in the better your skin will benefit! For any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us! We’d love to hear your feedback!